Monday, June 8, 2009

Ugh. Just ugh.

So, I haven't posted in awhile because this has been a very hard week. Between Thursday's quiz (ugh), lack of sleep (ugh), and my never-ending hunt for daycare (ugh) I am pretty much ready to crawl under the covers and not come out. I'm now considering going part-time (UGH!) because it is looking impossible to find a daycare that we can afford and someone that I trust to care for my kiddo. I have a problem with in-home daycares, only because I think most lack the structure that I'm looking for in a daycare, and the centers are crazy expensive. It's actually quite depressing. I contacted the Assistant Director of Admissions today b/c she and I have a friendly relationship, and asked if it is still possible to go part-time in the fall. She thinks it is, but I have to make my decision quickly. She even offered to help me look for daycare! She's very sweet, hence why I called her first. Going part-time was NOT something that I wanted to do for many reasons. 1.) 4 years instead of 3; 2.) Less availability of summer associateships; 3.) I JUST DON'T WANNA! But I guess if that's the only option then that is what I'll have to do. It won't be that bad I suppose, and the upside would be that I'd get to stay home with my Judah-bug and not be worried sick that something is happening to him when I'm not around. I'll mull it over this week and have a decision made by Friday. I could always change to full-time in a later semester when the childcare situation is better, and there are plenty of my LCOP classmates who'll be part-time. I think I'm making up my mind as I type this. It's hard to let go of the fulltime student goal that I had, but I suppose this is best for now. It won't kill me to be a part-timer.

That said, I'm still going to hold out hope that I find a center that has sliding-scale rates or scholarships. Here's hoping.

1 comment:

  1. I started part-time in a 4 year program too, but I can assure you that the VAST majority of those who started with me graduated in 3 or 3.5 years. Only a few of us were around to graduate 4 years later. I was even on track to graduate in 3 years before I had my son, too. All it took was an extra class here or there, going over a summer, getting an externship credit for a job - something like that...

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete